This is a meal I created when I finally made it out of bed from regaining my energy during the flu and being kind to myself.
I thought I had better make something for the family now. This is a great vegetarian, vegan , gluten free and dairy free meal packed with protein. It is nourishing and I love having a meal with brown rice as it is calming for the brain to eat some nutritious grains.
I always keep chickpeas in the freezer. Why not just cans do you ask? I do like doing things the long way. I take 500g of dried chickpeas soak them overnight and boil them for 45 minutes skimming the froth off. Then I bag them for the freezer after they are rinsed cool. Soaking lentils, beans and nuts are a habit that I am use to now. Most people would say that they don’t have time. I say it is a matter of priority. My family’s health is a priority for me so I do make time to eat to shop, prepare and cook in the most nutritious way possible.
Fresh beetroot is amazing. I love to grow it though in the time it takes to grow, I do purchase organic from local markets. If you have had a bad experience with beetroot from the can, then don’t throw this recipe out the window as fresh beets are so different and taste nothing like the canned ones. I also love to bake and steam beets, use them in salads, dips and roasted veggie mixes.
When I am cooking I look for things that are already in the fridge to start creating. Beetroot and chickpeas were there. I wasn’t sure about the combination. When it was finished though I was pleasantly surprised so I hope you enjoy this creation too. Please let me know your feedback in the comments section below.
- 1 brown onion peeled and cut in 2
- 2cm square of ginger peeled
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon of tumeric powder
- 2 fresh beetroot peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 400g cooked chickpeas
- 1-2 tablespoons of thermomix vegetable stock paste
- 300g water
- chillies to taste (optional)
- 250g basmati brown rice soaked in your thermomix basket overnite
- 1000g filtered water
- Place onion and ginger into the thermomix bowl. Chop 3 sec/speed 6
- Scrape down the bowl with the spatula. Add the spices, coconut oil and saute 3 min/varoma/ speed 1
- Add the beetroot with stock paste. Add the water and cook 20 min/90 degrees/reverse/speed 1
- Check the moisture. If more water is needed add a little. Adding too much will give you a soup, unless you would like a soup. Add the chickpeas and cook further 10 min/90 degrees/reverse/ speed 1
- For the rice, rinse well and cook in your thermomix with 1000g of water. Place the basket in the thermomix bowl and cook for 35 min/varoma/speed 4. This will give you a nice fluffy brown rice
- When cooked leave for about 10 minutes in the thermomix or thermoserver for the rice to absorb more moisture through the steam. Serve with the curry and top with chopped coriander or sprouted lentils.