Gluten Free Dairy Free Zucchini and Corn Fritters
I love it when zucchinis and corn are in season. These days we think that vegetables are in season all year round as we see most things in the shops. However corn and zucchinis are grown in the summer so they may be around till end of April then you will probably be purchasing things that have been stored for quite a few months through the winter. Have you ever noticed that the corn you buy in winter is never in it’s original coating but stripped and packaged on a tray with plastic wrap? That’s a topic for another blog that I am very passionate about.
Back to this amazing, easy and delicious recipe that I adapted from Louise Fulton Keats. I like to make the mix in advance and have it in the fridge ready for breakfast. What’s great is that it will keep in the fridge for a few days. Make a double batch if you have hungry monsters in the house like mine! We like to enjoy a hearty breakfast as it sets us up well for the day. This morning I enjoyed it with shredded cabbage and carrot in homemade mayonnaise, fresh avocado and poached egg. If there are other condiments around like a tomato relish that will go on too. Too bad we had run out.
There’s nothing stopping you from making this if you don’t have a thermomix, just grate everything by hand or in a food processor. It works just as well.
It’s easy to use an ice cream scoop to measure out the mix.
Heat the pan on medium heat to begin with so that the mixture sizzles when you add it and it won’t stick.
Note how the edges are beginning to firm up, cook on one side for about 2 minutes to allow the centre to begin to cook through. When you flip them and they are too brown then you know you have the heat too high.
- 3 Spring onions cut roughly
- 3 Roots and stems of fresh coriander (optional) Amazing if you have it
- 1 Zucchini, cut into 4 pieces
- 400g fresh organic corn cut o the cob/or frozen
- 2 eggs
- 110g Sorghum Flour
- 50g Tapioca or Arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- Generous round of Cracked Pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
- Coconut Oil to cook
- Blend the zucchini, spring onions and coriander roots and stems in the thermomix 3 seconds/speed 6. Set aside in a bowl to add later
- Add 200g corn, eggs, flour, salt, pepper, turmeric, and baking powder to the thermomix bowl on speed 8/5 seconds or blender on medium speed until just combined
- Add in the rest of the corn (200g) and the grated zucchini and stir for 5 seconds/reverse/speed 4 or slowly till just mixed in. Keep in mind that we want the corn and zucchini slightly chunky
- Heat the fry pan till warm and lightly cover with coconut oil. Add a dessert spoonful at a time. You should fit 4-6 in the frypan at a time. Cook one to two minute on the first side or till you see the edges cooked then turn over as you want to ensure they are cooked on the inside. They will stick if the pan is not hot enough. Cook till each side is golden.
- Serve with smashed avocado, relish and poached eggs for breakfast or with our slaw recipe for lunch
Delicious and rustly, hearty breakfast. Give it a go and let me know how you like them…